Re: freebsd/softupdates for data dir

On Apr 4, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:
On Apr 3, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

I've always left them on, and never had any issues...(even after unscheduled power loss - which happened here yesterday). As I understand it, the softupdate code reorders *metadata* operations, and does not alter data operations - so the effect of fysnc(2) on a preexisting file is not changed by softupdates being on or off.

This is also my understanding, and I also leave softupdates on for the data partition. Even if it doesn't improve performance, it will not reduce it, and otherwise does no harm with respect to postgres' disk usage.

More importantly, it allows the system to come up and do fsck in the background. If you've got a large database that's a pretty big benefit.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx