Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

Juan,

On 4/5/06 2:45 PM, "Juan Casero (FL FLC)" <Juan.Casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Do you think bizgres might be a good choice of database server for the
> Ultrasparc T1 based T2000?   I have downloaded the source code but I was
> hoping to find out if the potential performance gains were worth the
> effort to compile and install the code.

Bizgres (non-MPP) does not do any multi-CPU parallelism, so it won't use
more CPUs in your T2000.  It does have the faster sort performance and an
on-disk bitmap index, both of which will make it run many times (3-6) faster
than 8.1 Postgres depending if your queries use larger data or involve
sorts.

Bizgres MPP is closed source and unfortunately for your T2000 experiment it
doesn't currently support Solaris SPARC CPUs, only Solaris x86.  It would
use all of your CPUs and I/O channels on one or more machines for every
query.  Again, it's optimized for queries where that use a lot of data or
have a lot of complexity (sorts, aggregations, joins, etc).

- Luke