Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

This is off-topic for this group so I'll just give a brief reply; I'm happy to carry on more just between the two of us...

Gorshkov wrote:
That being said ..... what *is* the difference between coding a website - major or otherwise - in an "old-fashioned" compiled language and a non-compiled language, except for the amount of hoursepower and memory you require?

Old-fashioned doesn't mean bad, inappropriate, or inferior. It's just not the latest-and-greatest, however it's currently defined by the geek fashion police.

Our experience coding web sites with C/C++ versus Perl is about a factor of ten in productivity.  We only use C/C++ for CPU-intensive calculations, such as scientific prediction code.  Everything else is Perl or Java.

I recently re-coded 10,000 lines of C into 650 lines of Perl.  Why?  String handling, hash tables, and the simplicity of DBD/DBI.  And there was no loss of performance, because the app was strictly I/O bound (that is, Postgres was I/O bound).  Sure, the old app may not have been optimal, but we're talking about a factor of 15 reduction in lines of code.

That's not "geek fashion", it's good engineering.  Pick the best tool for the job, and learn how to use it.

Craig