Re: Database possible corruption , unsolvable mystery

Eric Lauzon wrote:
This is why our investigation brought us to the folowing questions:

1. Are postgresql data file name are hashed references to table
name(as oracle)? [~path to data EX:/var/log/pgsql/data/[arbitraty
numbers]/[datafile]]?

OID numbers - look in the contrib directory/package for the oid2name utility.

2. If the data files are corrupted and we re-create is it possible it
uses the same files thus creating the same issue?

No

3. Since we know that all the tables has that problems is there an
internal table with undisclosed references to tables data files?  I
hope the questions were clear.

You mean a system table that could account for your problems since it refers to some of your tables but not others? No.

The obvious places to start are:
1. vacuum analyse verbose on the tables in question
   This should show whether there are a lot of "dead" rows
2. explain analyse on problem queries
   To see if the query plans are correct
3. SELECT * FROM pg_stat_???
Assuming you have statistics gathering turned on, this might show unusual table accesses.

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd