To: "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Greg Quinn" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 02:14:00PM +0200, Greg Quinn wrote:
Hello,

I have just installed PostGreSql 8.1 on my Windows XP PC. I created a simple table called users with 4 varchar fields.

I am using the OleDb connection driver. In my .NET application, I populate 3000 records into the table to test PostGreSql's speed. It takes about 3-4 seconds.

Even worse is displaying the 3000 records in a ListView control. It takes about 7 seconds. In MySQL, the exact same table and application displays the same 3000 records in under 1/2 second!!!

Have you vacuumed recently? This smells like it might be a table bloat
problem.

This could be a lot of things...

He is probably running the default postgresql.conf which is going to perform horribly.

What is your work_mem? shared_buffers?

Are you passing a where clause? If so is there an index on the field that is subject to the clause?

When you do the population, is it via inserts or copy?

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/