Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

Marcos wrote:

So, what exactly are you planning on doing?

The application will be a chat for web, the chats will be stored in the
server. In a determined interval of time... more or less 2 seconds, the
application will be looking for new messages.

I believe that it will make many accesses. The write in disc will be
constant.
Ok. I would favor PostgreSQL for reasons of ease of future development. However, lets look at what both RDBMS's buy you:

MySQL:
1) Possibility of many components for web apps that can be used though the lack of certain features (such as complex updateable views) makes this possibly an issue.
2)  Great simple read performance.

PostgreSQL:
1) Possibility to integrate any other components later (including those on MySQL via DBI-Link). 2) Fabulous community support (and I am sure fabulous paid support too given the fact that many of those who contribute to the great community support also offer paid support).
3)  Better parallel write performance.
4) Greater extensibility, leading to greater flexibility down the road should you want to add in new components without rewriting your front-end.

For a simple chat client, you can probably put something together with some Perl/CGI scripts, Jabber, and MySQL or PostgreSQL pretty easily and without much development labor at all. Indeed I would suggest that the RDBMS is, absent other specific concerns, the least of your issues.

In other words, both are probably adequate. It is impossible to provide an estimate for capacity though without knowing the app in question, expected query composition, and so forth.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting