Auto performance tuning?

I have to say I've been really impressed with the quality and diversity of tools here to increase performance for PostgreSQL. But I keep seeing a lot of the same basic things repeated again and again. Has anyone looked into a "smart" or auto-adjusting resource manager for postgres? Consider for instance you set it to aggressively use system resources, then it would do things like notice that it needs more work mem after profiling a few thousand queries and adds it for you, or that a specific index or table should be moved to a different spindle and does it in the background, or that query plans keep screwing up on a particular table so it knows to up the amount of stastics it keeps on that table.

Is this a crazy idea or something someone's already working on?

Orion