Re: Slow SELECTS after large update cycle

Jan de Visser wrote:
Hello,

After fixing the hanging problems I reported here earlier (by uninstalling W2K3 SP1), I'm running into another weird one.

After doing a +/- 8hr cycle of updates and inserts (what we call a 'batch'), the first 'reporting' type query on tables involved in that write cycle is very slow. As an example, I have a query which according to EXPLAIN ANALYZE takes about 1.1s taking 46s. After this one hit, everything is back to normal, and subsequent executions of the same query are in fact subsecond. Restarting the appserver and pgsql does not make the slowness re-appear, only running another batch will.

During the 'write'/batch cycle, a large number of rows in various tables are inserted and subsequently (repeatedly) updated. The reporting type queries after that are basically searches on those tables.

After a large batch you need to run 'analyze' over the tables involved to get postgresql to update it's statistics so it can work out which indexes etc it should use.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/