Re: Planner enhancement suggestion.

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:00:25PM +0100, PFC wrote:

> 	Bitmap index scan is bliss. Many thanks to the postgres team ! Now
> searching in tables with a lot of fields and conditions is no longer a
> pain.
>
> 	And just a thought :
>
> 	SELECT * FROM table WHERE category IN (1,2,3) ORDER BY price LIMIT
> 	10;
>
> 	Suppose you have an index on category, and another index on price.
> Depending on the stats postgres has about the values, you'll either get :
>
> 	0- seq scan + sort
> 	1- Plain or Bitmap Index scan using "category", then sort by "price"
> 	2- Index scan on "price", Filter on "category IN (1,2,3)", no sort.
>
> 	1 is efficient if the category is rare. Postgres knows this and uses
> 	this  plan well.
> 	Without a LIMIT, option 1 should be preferred.
>
> 	2 is efficient if the items in the categories 1,2,3 are cheap (close
> 	to  the start of the index on price). However if the items in question are
> on  the other side of the index, it will index-scan a large part of the
> table.  This can be a big hit. Postgres has no stats about the correlation
> of  "category" and "price", so it won't know when there is going to be a
> problem.
>
> 	Another option would be interesting. It has two steps :
>
> 	- Build a bitmap using the index on "category" (just like in case 1)
> 	so we know which pages on the table have relevant rows
>
> 	- Index scan on "price", but only looking in the heap for pages
> 	which are  flagged in the bitmap, and then "Recheck Cond" on "category".
> 	In other words, do an index scan to get the rows in the right order,
> 	but  don't bother to check the heap for pages where the bitmap says there
> are  no rows.
> 	In the worst case, you still have to run through the entire index,
> 	but at  least not through the entire table !
>
> 	It can also speed up some merge joins.

The problem is that you're now talking about doing 2 index scans instead
of just one and a sort. If the correlation on price is high, it could
still win. As the cost estimator for index scan stands right now,
there's no way such a plan would be chosen unless correlation was
extremely high, however.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx