Re: Strange Create Index behaviour

Tom Lane wrote:
 > I tried forcing PG to use src/port/qsort.c on the Fedora machine,
and lo and behold:
	new Fedora 4 machine: shortest 434 msec, longest 8530 msec

So it sure looks like this script does expose a problem on BSD-derived
qsorts.  Curiously, the case that's much the worst for me is the third
in the script, while the shortest time is the first case, which was slow
for Gary.  So I'd venture that the *BSD code has been tweaked somewhere
along the way, in a manner that moves the problem around without really
fixing it.  (Anyone want to compare the actual FreeBSD source to what
we have?)

If I run the script again, it is not always the first case that is slow, it varies from run to run, which is why I repeated it quite a few times for the test.

Interestingly, if I don't delete the table after a run, but just drop and re-create the index repeatedly it stays a pretty consistent time, either repeatedly good or repeatedly bad!

Regards,
Gary.