Re: Incorrect Total runtime Reported by Explain Analyze!?

Jozsef Szalay wrote:

I have seen it on occasion that the total runtime reported by explain
analyze was much higher than the actual time the query needed to
complete. The differences in my case ranged between 20-120 seconds. I'm
just curious if anyone else has experienced this and whether there is
something that I can do to convince explain analyze to report the
execution time of the query itself rather than the time of its own
execution. Engine version is 8.1.1.

I think it's down to all the gettime() calls that have to be made to measure how long each stage of the query takes. In some cases these can take a substantial part of the overall query time. I seem to recall one of the BSDs was particularly bad in this respect a couple of years ago. Does that sound like your problem?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd