Re: PostgreSQL Solaris packages now in beta

For people installing PostgreSQL on Solaris with the new packaget, it will show a greatly improved experience to get PostgreSQL up and running which was quite a inhibitor in terms of "Love at First Sight". This will now help people familiar with Solaris have a great first impression of PostgreSQL and hence lower the barrier of entry to PostgreSQL. With more than 3.7 million downloads of Solaris 10 already, now PostgreSQL have accesss to probably a 3.7 million incremental user-base of these relatively "New" PostgreSQL users.

Regards,
Jignesh

Robert Lor wrote:

With big thanks to Josh Berkus and Devrim Gunduz, I'm happy to announce that Sun has just released a Solaris distribution of PostgreSQL 8.1.2 with ready-to-install packages for both Sparc and x86. These packages are currently in Beta, and we expect to FCS in 2 -3 weeks. The packages, along with an install guide, are available for download at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/solarispackages/

We have tightly integrated PostgreSQL with Solaris in a manner similar to the Linux distributions available on postgresql.org. In fact, the directory structures are identical. Starting with Solaris 10 Update 2, PostgreSQL will be distributed with every copy of Solaris, via download and physical media.