Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum

Hi,

yes, some heavily used tables contain approx. 90% free space after a week. I'll try to increase FSM even more, but I think that I will still have to run a full vacuum every week. Prior to 8.1 I was using 7.4 and ran a full vacuum every day, so the autovacuum has helped a lot.

But actually I never understood why the database system slows down at all when there is much unused space in the files. Are the unused pages cached by the system, or is there another reason for the impact on the performance?

Mike

>  Have you measured to see if things are truly
faster after a VACUUM FULL?

Matt

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend