Suspending SELECTs

I am aware that what I am dreaming of is already available through cursors, but in a web application, cursors are bad boys, and should be avoided. What I would like to be able to do is to plan a query and run the plan to retreive a limited number of rows as well as the executor's state. This way, the burden of maintaining the cursor "on hold", between activations of the web resource which uses it, is transferred from the DBMS to the web application server, and, most importantly, the responsibility for garbage-collecting stale cursors is implicitely delegated to the garbage-collector of active user sessions. Without this mechanism, we are left with two equally unpleasant solutions: first, any time a user instantiates a new session, a new cursor would have to be declared for all relevant queries, and an ad-hoc garbage collection daemon would have to be written to periodically scan the database for stale cursors to be closed; otherwise, instead of using cursors, the web application could resort to OFFSET-LIMIT queries--no garbage collection issues but pathetic performance and server-load.

Do we have any way out?

Alex

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT