Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

On Dec 23, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

Vivek Khera wrote:

and only the opteron boxes needed to come from sun. add a zero return policy and you wonder how they expect to keep in business....
sorry, i had to vent.

Just out of interest - why did the opterons need to come from Sun?

There are three tier-1 vendors selling opteron: IBM, Sun, and HP. HP's have historically had slow RAID configurations, and IBM tries to hide them and only offers really one model, a 1U unit. I've already been through buying opteron systems from the smaller vendors and it basically wasted a lot of my time due to what seems like quality control issues.

So it could be Sun or IBM. IBM seems to make it harder to buy from them than Sun...