Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

How much space does that equate to?
Have you optimized the queries?

Items that generally have the biggest impact on performance in
decreasing order:
1. System architecture
2. Database design
3. (for long-running/problem queries) Query plans
4. Disk I/O
5. Memory
6. CPU

So, I'd make sure that the queries have been optimized (and that
includes tuning postgresql.conf) before assuming you need more hardware.

Based on what you've told us (very little parallelization), then your
biggest priority is probably either disk IO or memory (or both). Without
knowing the size of your database/working set it's difficult to provide
more specific advice.
Hi!

We have 3 Compaq Proliant ML530 servers with dual Xeon 2.8GHz processors, 3 GB DDR RAM, Ultra Wide SCSI RAID5 10000rpm and 1000Gbit ethernet. We partitioned our databases among these machines, but there are cross refrences among the machines theoretically. Now the size of datas is about 100-110GB. We've used these servers for 3 years with Debian Linux. We have already optimized the given queries and the postgresql.conf. We tried more tricks and ideas and we read and asked on mailing lists. We cannot do anything, we should buy new server for the databases, because we develop our system for newer services, so the size will grow along. After that we need better responsiblility and shorter execution time for the big queries (These queries are too complicated to discuss here, and more times we optimized with plpgsql stored procedures.). The PostgreSQL 8.1 solved more paralellization and overload problem, the average load is decreased significantly on our servers. But the big queries aren't fast enough. We think the hardver is the limit. Generally 2 parallel guery running in working hours, after we make backups at night.

Regards, Atesz