Re: Small table or partial index?

Jim C. Nasby writes:

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:28:09PM -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
I am in the process of designing a new system.
There will be a long list of words such as

-word table
word_id integer
word varchar
special boolean

Some "special" words are used to determine if some work is to be done and will be what we care the most for one type of operation.

Tough call. The key here is the amount of time required to do a join. It
also depends on if you need all the special words or not. Your best bet
is to try and benchmark both ways.

In your opinion do you think performance will be comparable?
I am hoping I will have time to test, but not sure if will have time and the tables will be pretty large. :-(