Re: opinion on disk speed

On Dec 12, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Vivek Khera wrote:
From where did you get LSI MegaRAID controller with 512MB? The 320-2X doesn't seem to come with more than 128 from the factory.

Can you just swap out the DIMM card for higher capacity?

We've swapped out the DIMMs on MegaRAID controllers. Given the cost of a standard low-end DIMM these days (which is what the LSI controllers use last I checked), it is a very cheap upgrade.

Admittedly I've never actually run benchmarks to see if it made a significant difference in practice, but it certainly seems like it should in theory and the upgrade cost is below the noise floor for most database servers.

J. Andrew Rogers