view of view

Hi All,

I am working on an application that uses PostgreSQL. One of the functions of the application is to generate reports. In order to keep the code in the application simple we create a view of the required data in the database and then simply execute a SELECT * FROM view_of_the_data; All of the manipulation and most of the time even the ordering is handled in the view.

My question is how much if any performance degradation is there in creating a view of a view?

IOW if I have a view that ties together a couple of tables and manipulates some data what will perform better; a view that filters, manipulates, and orders the data from the first view or a view that performs all the necessary calculations on the original tables?

--
Kind Regards,
Keith