Re: postgresql performance tuning

Vivek Khera wrote:

On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Ameet Kini wrote:

need for vacuums. However, it'd be great if there was a similar automatic
reindex utility, like say, a pg_autoreindex daemon. Are there any plans
for this feature?  If not, then would cron scripts be the next best

what evidence do you have that you are suffering index bloat? or are you just looking for solutions to problems that don't exist as an academic exercise? :-)

The files for the two indices on a single table used 7.8GB of space before a reindex, and 4.4GB after. The table had been reindexed over the weekend and a vacuum was completed on the table about 2 hours ago.

The two indices are now 3.4GB smaller. I don't think this counts as bloat, because of our use case. Even so, we reindex our whole database every weekend.

-- Alan