Re: LVM and Postgres

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
The server has a 250GB RAID10 (LSI 320-I + BBU) volume which I am
thinking of slicing up in the following way (Linux 2.6 kernel):

    /         : ext3  :  47GB (root, home etc)
    /boot     : ext3  :  1GB
    /tmp      : ext2  :  2GB
    /usr      : ext3  :  4GB
    /var      : ext3  :  6GB
    -----------------------
                        60GB

    VG        :        190GB approx
    -----------------------
Initially divided so: /data : ext3 : 90GB
    /postgres : xfs   : 40GB
This gives me left over space of roughly 60GB to extend into on the
volume group, which I can balance between the /data and /postgres
logical volumes as needed.

Are there any major pitfalls to this approach?

Thanks,
Rory

It looks like you are using fast disks and xfs for filesystem on the /postgresql partition. That's nice.

How many disks in the array?

One thing you miss is sticking a bunch of sequential log writes on a separate spindle as far as I can see with this? WAL / XFS (i think) both have this pattern. If you've got a fast disk and can do BBU write caching your WAL writes will hustle.

Others can probably speak a bit better on any potential speedups.

- August