Re: TSearch2 vs. Apache Lucene

Bruce Momjian schrieb:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
Folks,

tsearch2 and Lucene are very different search engines, so it'd be unfair
comparison. If you need full access to metadata and instant indexing
you, probably, find tsearch2 is more suitable then Lucene. But, if you could live without that features and need to search read only
archives you need Lucene.

Tsearch2 integration into pgsql would be cool, but, I see no problem to use tsearch2 as an official extension module. After completing our
todo, which we hope will likely  happens for 8.2 release, you could
forget about Lucene and other engines :) We'll be available for developing
in spring and we estimate about three months for our todo, so, it's
really doable.

Agreed.  There isn't anything magical about a plug-in vs something
integrated, as least in PostgreSQL.  In other database, plug-ins can't
fully function as integrated, but in PostgreSQL, everything is really a
plug-in because it is all abstracted.

I only remember evaluating TSearch2 about a year ago, and when I read statements like "Vacuum and/or database dump/restore work differently when using TSearch2, sql scripts need to be executed etc." I knew that I would not want to go there.

But I don't doubt that it works, and that it is a sane concept.