Re: BLCKSZ

Ron wrote:
In general, and in a very fuzzy sense, "bigger is better". pg files are laid down in 1GB chunks, so there's probably one limitation.

Hm, expect result of tests on other platforms, but if there theoretical dispute... I can't undestand why "bigger is better". For instance in search by index. Index point to page and I need load page to get one row. Thus I load 8kb from disk for every raw. And keep it then in cache. You recommend 64kb. With your recomendation I'll get 8 times more IO throughput, 8 time more head seek on disk, 8 time more memory cache (OS cache and postgresql) become busy. I have small row in often loaded table, 32 bytes. Table is not clustered, used several indices. And you recommend load 64Kb when I need only 32b, isn't it?
--
Olleg