Re: 15,000 tables - next step

On 12/2/2005 6:01 PM, Michael Riess wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your comments so far - I appreciate it. I'd like to narrow down my problem a bit:

As I said in the other thread, I estimate that only 20% of the 15,000 tables are accessed regularly. So I don't think that vacuuming or the number of file handles is a problem. Have a look at this:

What makes you think that? Have you at least tried to adjust your shared buffers, freespace map settings and background writer options to values that match your DB? How does increasing the kernel file desctriptor limit (try the current limit times 5 or 10) affect your performance?

Jan

content2=# select relpages, relname from pg_class order by relpages desc limit 20;
  relpages |             relname
----------+---------------------------------
     11867 | pg_attribute
     10893 | pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index
      3719 | pg_class_relname_nsp_index
      3310 | wsobjects_types
      3103 | pg_class
      2933 | wsobjects_types_fields
      2903 | wsod_133143
      2719 | pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index
      2712 | wsod_109727
      2666 | pg_toast_98845
      2601 | pg_toast_9139566
      1876 | wsod_32168
      1837 | pg_toast_138780
      1678 | pg_toast_101427
      1409 | wsobjects_types_fields_idx
      1088 | wso_log
       943 | pg_depend
       797 | pg_depend_depender_index
       737 | wsod_3100
       716 | wp_hp_zen

I don't think that postgres was designed for a situation like this, where a system table that should be fairly small (pg_attribute) is this large.

       match