Open request for benchmarking input

These boxes don't look like being designed for a DB server. The first are very CPU bound, and the third may be a good choice for very large amounts of streamed data, but not optimal for TP random access.

I don't know what you mean when you say that the first ones are CPU bound, they have far more CPU then they do disk I/O

however I will agree that they were not designed to be DB servers, they weren't. they happen to be the machines that I have available.

they only have a pair of disks each, which would not be reasonable for most production DB uses, and they have far more CPU then is normally reccomended. So I'll have to run raid 0 instead of 0+1 (or not use raid) which would be unacceptable in a production environment, but can still give some useful info.

the 5th box _was_ purchased to be a DB server, but one to store and analyse large amounts of log data, so large amounts of data storage were more important then raw DB performance (although we did max out the RAM at 16G to try and make up for it). it was a deliberate price/performance tradeoff. this machine ran ~$20k, but a similar capacity with SCSI drives would have been FAR more expensive (IIRC a multiple of 4x or more more expensive).

Hopefully, when publicly visible benchmarks are performed, machines are used that comply with common engineering knowledge, ignoring those guys who still believe that sequential performance is the most important issue on disk subsystems for DBMS.

are you saying that I shouldn't do any benchmarks becouse the machines aren't what you would consider good enough?

if so I disagree with you and think that benchmarks should be done on even worse machines, but should also be done on better machines. (are you volunteering to provide time on better machines for benchmarks?)

not everyone will buy a lot of high-end hardware before they start useing a database. in fact most companies will start with a database on lower end hardware and then as their requirements grow they will move to better hardware. I'm willing to bet that what I have available is better then the starting point for most places.

Postgres needs to work on the low end stuff as well as the high end stuff or people will write their app to work with things that DO run on low end hardware and they spend much more money then is needed to scale the hardware up rather then re-writing their app.

Part of the reason that I made the post on /. to start this was the hope that a reasonable set of benchmarks could be hammered out and then more people then just me could run them to get a wider range of results.

David Lang