Re: 8.1 count(*) distinct: IndexScan/SeqScan

Tom Lane wrote:

What "same result"?  You only ran it up to 2K rows, not 2M.  In any
case, EXPLAIN without ANALYZE is pretty poor ammunition for complaining
that the planner made the wrong choice. I ran the same

Hello, sorry to jump in mid-stream, but this reminded me of something.

I have hit cases where I have a query for which there is a somewhat "obvious" (to a human...) query plan that should make it possible to get a query answer pretty quickly. Yet the query "never" finishes (or rather, after hours of waiting I finally kill it). I assume this is because of a sub-optimal query plan. But, it appears that an EXPLAIN ANALYZE runs the actual query, so it takes as long as the actual query.

In such a case, how can I go about tracking down the issue, up to an including a complaint about the query planner? :-)

(Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the PG query planner; it often gets better results than another, popular commercial DBMS we use here.... that is just a general impression, not the result of setting up the same schema in each for a comparison.)

Kyle Cordes
www.kylecordes.com