Binary Refcursor possible?

Hi,

I am trying to get better performance reading data from postgres, so I would like to return the data as binary rather than text as parsing it is taking a considerable amount of processor.

However I can't figure out how to do that! I have functions like.

function my_func(ret refcursor) returns refcursor AS

$$

BEGIN
OPEN $1 for select * from table;
return $1
END;

$$ language 'plpgsql'

There are queried using

SELECT my_func( 'ret'::refcursor); FETCH ALL FROM ret;

Is there any way I can say make ret a binary cursor?

Thanks
Ralph