Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

Title: Re: [PERFORM] Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Dave,

On 11/18/05 7:25 AM, "Dave Cramer" <pg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Luke,

Interesting numbers. I'm a little concerned about the use of blockdev —setra 16384. If I understand this correctly it assumes that the table is contiguous on the disk does it not ?

For optimum performance, yes it does.  Remember that the poster is asking about a 5TB warehouse.  Decision support applications deal with large tables and sequential scans a lot, and the data is generally contiguous on disk.  If delete gaps are there, they will generally vacuum them away.

- Luke