Re: Performance PG 8.0 on dual opteron / 4GB / 3ware

Dave Page wrote:

Now *I* am confused. What does PgAdmin do more than giving the query to
the database?

Nothing - it just uses libpq's pqexec function. The speed issue in
pgAdmin is rendering the results in the grid which can be slow on some
OS's due to inefficiencies in some grid controls with large data sets.
That's why we give 2 times - the first is the query runtime on the
server, the second is data retrieval and rendering (iirc, it's been a
while).

yrnc.
Query runtime includes data transfer to the client, i.e. until libpq returns the set, second time is retrieving data from libpq and rendering.

Regards,