Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

Would it be worth first agreeing on a common set of criteria to measure? I see many data points going back and forth but not much agreement on what's worth measuring and how to measure.

I'm not necessarily trying to herd cats, but it sure would be swell to have the several knowledgeable minds here come up with something that could uniformly tested on a range of machines, possibly even integrated into pg_bench or something. Disagreements on criteria or methodology should be methodically testable.

Then I have dreams of a new pg_autotune that would know about these kinds of system-level settings.

I haven't been on this list for long, and only using postgres for a handful of years, so forgive it if this has been hashed out before.

-Bill
-----
bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833