Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

Title: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Vivek,

On 11/18/05 8:07 AM, "Vivek Khera" <vivek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Luke Lonergan wrote:

Still, there is a CPU limit here – this is not I/O bound, it is CPU limited as evidenced by the sensitivity to readahead settings.   If the filesystem could do 1GB/s, you wouldn’t go any faster than 244MB/s.

Yeah, and mysql would probably be faster on your trivial queries.  Try concurrent large joins and updates and see which system is faster.

That’s what we do to make a living.  And it’s Oracle that a lot faster because they implemented a much tighter, optimized I/O path to disk than Postgres.

Since you asked, we bought the 5 systems as a cluster – and with Bizgres MPP we get close to 400MB/s per machine on complex queries.

- Luke