Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

David Boreham wrote:
> Steve Wampler wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>>> The reason you want the dual core cpus is that PostgreSQL can only
>>> execute 1 query per cpu at a time,...
>>>

>> Is that true?  I knew that PG only used one cpu per query, but how
>> does PG know how many CPUs there are to limit the number of queries?
>>

> He means only one query can be executing on each cpu at any particular
> instant.

Got it - the cpu is only acting on one query in any instant but may be
switching between many 'simultaneous' queries.  PG isn't really involved
in the decision.  That makes sense.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@xxxxxxxx

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend