Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( 5TB)

Merlin Moncure wrote:
You could instead buy 8 machines that total 16 cores, 128GB RAM and
It's hard to say what would be better. My gut says the 5u box would be
a lot better at handling high cpu/high concurrency problems...like your
typical business erp backend.  This is pure speculation of course...I'll
defer to the experts here.

In this specific case (data warehouse app), multiple machines is the better bet. Load data on 1 machine, copy to other servers and then use a middleman to spread out SQL statements to each machine.

I was going to suggest pgpool as the middleman but I believe it's limited to 2 machines max at this time. I suppose you could daisy chain pgpools running on every machine.

      match