Re: WAL sync behaviour

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
Hi,

We're having problems with our PostgreSQL server using forever for simple
queries, even when there's little load -- or rather, the transactions seem
to take forever to commit. We're using 8.1 (yay!) on a single Opteron, with
WAL on the system two-disk (software) RAID-1, separate from the database
four-disk RAID-10. All drives are 10000rpm SCSI disks, with write cache
turned off; we value our data :-) We're running Linux 2.6.13.4, with 64-bit
kernel but 32-bit userspace.

You're beyond my area of expertise, but I do know that someone's going to ask what filesystem this is (ext2/xfs/etc). And probably to see the strace too.

Hmm - the only things I can think to check:
Do vmstat/iostat show any unusual activity?
Are your system logs on these disks too?
Could it be the journalling on the fs clashing with the WAL?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq