Re: postgresql amd-64

Iain wrote:
I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to build a similar machine soon and am wondering about the choice of 64 bit distributions.

Gentoo is obviously a possibility but I'm also condsidering Debian. There is also a 64 compile of redhat sources somewhere around, but I can't remember what they call it offhand.

RedHat's community OS is now called Fedora: http://fedora.redhat.com/
There's been two AMD64 releases of this OS, Fedora Core 1 and Fedora Core 2. Core 3 is just around the corner. I've been running FC2 x86_64 with kernel 2.6 as a desktop system for quite some time now, with PostgreSQL 7.4.2 / 64bit installed. I find Fedora to be a really good Linux distro, continuing and improving upon the fine tradition of RedHat's releases.
You can also get RedHat's commercial releases on AMD64; according to
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/features/
you can also get a EM64T release.

If anyone has opinions about that, I'd be happy to hear.

--
Radu-Adrian Popescu
CSA, DBA, Developer