As a Senior Database Engineer you will:
- Provide expertise in the PostgreSQL database platform hosted on Linux. You will be an expert PostgreSQL DBA.
- Develop an understanding of our business applications architecture, and provide architectural guidance to improve database and systems operations and integration
- Assure proactive monitoring, maintenance and production support of a broad array of databases supporting several business brands
- Build capabilities to quickly and effectively incorporate the management of databases of newly acquired companies
- Provide effective communication, interaction and reporting to all Carbonite stakeholders, including Operations, Engineering, Finance, Marketing and IT teams
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities:
Your First Six Months:
Assume production DBA responsibilities across all Carbonite product lines; the initial focus will be to provide PostgreSQL expertise.
Design, build and operate PostgreSQL-based environments. Be a key extended member of the development team.
Develop solutions for monitoring, availability and reliability, performance, analytics and security.
Document and provide training to peers relating to the PostgreSQL environments.
Learn and absorb responsibilities related to the Carbonite Safe Server product lines.
Six to Twelve Months and Beyond:
Gain and share expertise in database technologies other than PostgreSQL including SQL Server and MySQL.
Participate in various product development tasks
Take greater responsibilities to deliver on database-related initiatives including:
Enhancements to our existing monitoring and notification infrastructure
Automation of repeated, manual steps
Insuring our 24 X 7 X 365 availability and recovery capabilities
Become an expert relating to the database systems supporting various Carbonite productions including Carbonite Safe, Carbonite Endpoint, Carbonite Recover and others.
Involvement in the adoption of more DevOps approaches to a database platform release process.
Begin to provide database consulting services to the development organization relating to best practices when dealing with our database platform.
Key Challenges to Overcome:
This role is to be an essential member of the database platform team that provides database-related support throughout Carbonite. Key challenges include the ability to work within a fast-paced environment and be adaptable to shifting priorities. The individual must be able to adopt to new technologies being introduced from within product development as well as through company acquisitions.
What will make you successful at Carbonite:
A track record of good judgment and decision-making
Highly autonomous and able to independently identify high value projects and drive them to completion
High degree of comfort with complex technical environments
Having and being able to articulate/defend an informed opinion on important topics
Skills & Experience:
- Expert in database technologies, especially PostgreSQL. 5 – 10 years of DBA experience with at least 3 years of hands on PostgreSQL experience.
- Skilled with PostgreSQL database clusters, replication and high availability, tuning and scalability
- Experience with backup and disaster recovery solutions for PostgreSQL
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems as hosts for PostgreSQL databases
- Able to write complex SQL, stored procedures and database triggers
- Knowledgeable of PostgreSQL data structures and architecture
- Knowledgeable of database utilities and tools
Eager to contribute in a team-oriented environment
Able to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
Excellent in communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Able to quickly grasp complex technologies
- Experience with DevOps environments and automation desired
- Eager to grow with an exciting company
Carbonite provides a complete Data Protection Platform for businesses and the IT professionals who serve them. From backup and disaster recovery to data migration, high availability and endpoint protection, our flexible solutions can be tailored to meet the data protection needs of any business.
Carbonite solutions are strengthened by our outstanding team members and through strategic acquisitions—like our purchase of leading endpoint protection provider Mozy Inc., and high availability specialist DoubleTake Software. Our laser focus on security and our track record of meeting customers' unique requirements are two more reasons why businesses around the globe depend on Carbonite.
Carbonite is made up of over 1,000 smart and dedicated individuals who work at locations all over the world. We foster a thriving, dynamic environment rich with inventive minds and entrepreneurial spirit. With our robust Data Protection Platform, we are well-positioned in a rapidly growing market. We're currently looking for talented people to join the Carbonite team both in the U.S. and globally. Are you ready to grow with us?
Carbonite, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity or _expression_, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Upon request, accommodations will be made available during the recruitment process for applicants with a disability. If you require accommodations, we will work with you to provide or arrange for the provision of suitable accommodation wherever possible. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
2 Avenue de Lafayette