Re: Alternate Datafile Location

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 7:56 PM Sam Stearns <sam.stearns@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, we were going with the approach of the Postgres software (cluster) being on the root filesystem then creating databases with data file storage on an alternate filesystem.

PG isn't like SQL Server, where you have a set of catalog databases, and then can put user databases anywhere you please.

It's sounding like the better approach would be to install the Postgres software (cluster with initdb) on a filesystem other than root.  Do I have that right?

Correct.  Postgresql has tablesspaces, but tools like pg_restore and PgBackRest are least confusing when all user databases live in the same $PGDATA/base.  "CREATE DATABASE foo;" handles all that for you.

If you really want your user databases spread all over, then one possibility is that each has its own instance (aka cluster) and port number.

Ubuntu has pg_lsclusters to help manage that, but other OS's require something like "netstat -an | grep :543[2345]" (which doesn't help if an instance is shut down.