Re: Containerizing PostgreSQL

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 9:34 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 06:01:46AM +0000, Cainzos Yvan wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> What is your experience with containerizing PostgreSQL, particularly on
> OpenShift?
>
> I am looking to identify the advantages and disadvantages of this type of
> architecture, mainly from an operational standpoint.
>
> I am interested in preferred use cases and those to be avoided.
>
> Thank you for sharing your experience.

This presentation might be helpful, and its videos:

        https://momjian.us/main/presentations/administration.html#cloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJBpcoRAsc#t=1h26m46s

The important bits start here, I think.

Distilled:
1. Do you have an existing VM infrastructure, like VMware?
2a. Do you frequently create new PG instances?
2b. Do you have hundreds of PG instances?

For me, the answers are "yes" and "no,no".

I've got a "design document" and common config files in a shared directory.  Need a new PG server?  I give a standard list of mount points and port numbers to the VM build team, and they come back with a server that has RHEL installed, and ports open.  "yum install" a set of RPMs from PGDG.  Five minutes later, I sudo to postgres, cp config file templates and run some sed commands.  Up comes PG!

Patching happens every three months; yum and bash scripts which I've developed over time make that pretty darned fast and painless.

Thus, PG containers are of no use to us.  Lots of application containers, but that's outside my domain.

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!