Re: pg_dump

Am 12.08.24 um 21:09 schrieb Wasim Devale:
Hi All

Please let me know if the below option persists while using pg_dump command:

-t table_name --exclude-column column_name

I have a table with a column having bytea data type (BLOBS). I just want to exclude this in the dump file as it is of 99GB but I want the other data in the same table which is of only 22MB.

Please let me know any work around this.

I used this option in pg_dump but that didn't work:

--exclude-table-data = table_name

PG version 12.19

Thanks,
Wasim
No, pg_dump can only dump complete tables.

An alternative would be exporting the result of a select command via COPY or \copy to a file, which can easily be read again with COPY or \copy

COPY is an SQL command and has to be used by a superuser because it writes to (or reads from) a file on the server. \copy is a psql command and thus can only be executed in psql (not any other client) and by any user, because it writes to (or reads from) a file on the client computer.

Kind Regards,

Holger

--

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach