Re: Pg_repack

On Tue, Aug 06, 2024 at 04:39:53PM +0530, Sathish Reddy wrote:
>   We planning to create store procedure (function) in postgres database to
> run pg_repack on removing bloating of table or index by using within
> postgres instance.
>     Please help me on details on steps with example for same.

That will be impossible and/or hard.

The problem is that stored procedure/functions runs in database. and
pg_repack is external program, that *does stuff in database*, but it not
*all* in database.

It's kinda as if you wanted to make stored procedure to run photoshop.

You can kinda work around it by using some PL/* language that allows
external program execution, but it is extremely unlikely to do what
you'd think it will do.

Best regards,

depesz