Re: Enhance pg_dump multi-threaded streaming (WAS: Re: filesystem full during vacuum - space recovery issues)

Hi Doug

On 19-Jul-2024 17:21, Doug Reynolds wrote:
Thomas—

Why are you using logical backups for a database this large?  A solution like PgBackRest?  Obviously, if you are going to upgrade, but for operational use, that seems to be a slow choice.

In normal operation the server runs as a primary-replica and pgbackrest handles backups.  Right when disk space was used up, pgbackrest also took a backup during the failed vacuum so going back to it (or anything earlier) would also roll forward the WALs for recovery to date and put me right back where I am just now by running out of space part way through.

It's a pragmatic decision that trying various things short of the dump-reload would take a number of days for me to try and see if I could get them to work with a high likelihood of needing to resort to dump-reload anyway.  I'd already tried a few file matching/moving exercises by they all prevented the database starting up so I cut my losses and started the dump-reload this week instead of next week since there's a limited window before this becomes a larger problem.

My thoughts on improving pg_dump are to help make it a better tool for worst case scenarios like this for the future or for those that like the dump-reload as part of upgrades but have reasonable size databases.

Thanks

Tom

Doug