pgpool not load balancing via foreign table

All;

I created a db node with 2 standby's

then I setup pgpool and set it up with hosts talking to the 3 backend nodes above

then I created a stand alone db cluster, and setup a foreign server pointing to the pgpool node, then I used the IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA to import the tables via the pgpool node.

all this worked great

however no matter how many selects I run via the foreign tables a "show pool_nodes" on the pgpool server shows  a select_cnt of 0 for all 3 nodes.

If I connect to the pgpool server/cluster and run a number of select statements then a "show pool_nodes"  shows increasing values for all 3 backend nodes for select_cnt

It appears that a foreign table / FDW connection to a pgpool node does not trigger the collection of any load balancing stats

Anyone have any ideas of how to get these stats?

Thanks in advance