Re: Minimize checkpointer and walwriter io during pg_restore

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:06 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
There are certainly negative effects of a large transaction, but I thought you want
to optimize the performance of a "pg_restore".  If you optimize one thing, you will
certainly pessimize some other things.  In the case at hand, you shouldn't run a
heavy data modifying workload in the same database concurrently to the large pg_restore.

pg_restore will be the only thing running.

The mere size of a transaction can be a problem as such in other databases like
Oracle, but not in PostgreSQL.

Understood.  I'll see if I can run another test before the "real" migration starts.