Re: pgBackRest configuration with DDBoost

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 10:23 PM Naveed Iftikhar <naveed27c@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Experts,

   I need to implement the full and incremental backups of postgreSQL cluster with a very large database (6 TB).  Currently we are using  DDBoost for Oracle database backups.  So I was curious if we can use some postgres backup tool which is compatible or configurable with DDBoost.  I googled and seems  like pgBackRest or pbRMAN are pretty nice tools but not sure if these can be configurable with DDBoost. Please if someone can provide me the guidance about which tool is the best for full and incremental backups?

We use PgBackRest on three multi-TB instances (sizes 3.5TB, 4.4TB, 6.1TB) and many smaller ones.  They're ESX VMs with 32 CPUs and mounted SAN disks.

Takes 2 hr 45 min for us to do a weekly full backup of the 6.1TB instance using integrated gzip compression (it's an old RHEL6 system, so nothing better) and 24 threads.  Size 3.3T after compression, which is surprising based on how much already-compressed bytea data there is.

Other-day incremental backups only take 10-45 minutes depending on activity.

PgBackRest also does continuous WAL (the PG version of rollback segments) backups.

AES-256 encryption, too, which is important for PCI.

Thus, while it doesn't support DDBoost, I'm very pleased with PgBackRest.