Re: Autovacuum log messges re: index scans

So which means your postgres is working as expected, autovaccum has identified some reusable pages where it can fit in data just to reclaim the free ones..

Dead ones are just hanging around in your page writing or holding nothing.

Get Outlook for Android

From: Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2024 6:19:33 AM
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Autovacuum log messges re: index scans

Can someone point me to more detail about this sort of message which comes from the automatic vacuum log messages?

	index scan needed: 309538 pages from table (17.70% of total) had 27187607 dead item identifiers removed

I am trying to figure out what the "dead item identifiers" means exactly and what's happening here in this step. Does it indicate an index was somehow optimized?

I do see lines following this that pertain to individual indexes, what can I glean exactly from these? e.g.

	index "myidx": pages: 169980 in total, 9410 newly deleted, 9681 currently deleted, 271 reusable

Thank you.