Postgres/pgpool HA failover process

Hello Everyone,

We are working on to setup a High available solution for postgres and running some test cases
based on that we need some clarification on the HA setup as per the same configuration given in this example

Question - 01
Regarding the active client connections that are connecting via delegate VIP, what happens to those connections during the failover process? If either the primary DB goes down (gracefully/crash) then the active connection will get hung till the new primary DB is available or those active connections get terminated? What if the same case for Leader pgpool service as well?

Questions - 02
Configuring the delegate IP:
a. Are there any standards/limitations for choosing the unused IP as delegate IP? I mean like the IP must be within the same subnet range of all the nodes in the cluster?
b. Any challenges we see for non-root user to work with VIP? because we run the pgpool with non-root user.

Thank you

Regards
Mukesh Tanuku