Re: Request for feature: VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 7:21 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 10:07 AM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 6:58 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not wedded to the name RECREATE TABLE, but am wedded to the fact that VACUUM FULL is a horrible name for what it does.

I think there is general agreement here but your cure is arguably worse than the disease.

Why?  RECREATE TABLE says exactly what it does: recreates the table, and doesn't pretend to do something it doesn't do (vacuum the table).

That's distracting from the question at hand, which is whether and how to go about changing this, not whether the alternative naming is better than the existing one.  It isn't so much better that the pain of change seems worth it.  Mostly because it isn't like the universe simply gets reprogrammed to map the old onto the new, and having the old and new co-exist produces a burden.

David J.