ERROR: index row size 2720 exceeds btree version 4 maximum 2704 for index in V14 but pg_column_size calculates 2701

Hi Folks

I am trying to figure out how to calculate a column size in my UTF8 encoded Postgresql V14 instance in order to avoid the error exceeds btree version 4 maximum 2704  and I am obviously not doing it correctly using pg_column_size as when I do I get 2701 which is lower than 2704.

What am I doing wrong in the select. I think I saw something in an internet page that a setting was added that reduced the 2704 down by 8 bytes to make it 2696 as a max but I am not sure.

Can you tell me if there is a configuration property that removes this 8 byte removal as I am taking dumps from another db and loading it here and failing.

See here

SELECT id,length(name) charlength_name,PG_COLUMN_SIZE(name) as column_size

FROM tony

order by 2 desc;

   id    charlength_name column_size

-------- --------------- -----------

37960058            3403        2701

37913542            2955          48

31834662            2481        1993

(3 rows)

create index tony1 on tony (name);

ERROR:  index row size 2720 exceeds btree version 4 maximum 2704 for index "tony1"

DETAIL:  Index row references tuple (0,3) in relation "tony".

HINT:  Values larger than 1/3 of a buffer page cannot be indexed.

Consider a function index of an MD5 hash of the value, or use full text indexing.

delete from tony where id = 37960058;

DELETE 1

create index tony1 on tony (name);

CREATE INDEX

SELECT id,length(name) charlength_name,PG_COLUMN_SIZE(name) as column_size

FROM tony

order by 2 desc;

   id    charlength_name column_size

37913542            2955          48