Re: Installation of PostGIS without internet or with limited internet access

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 10:20 AM Ramiro Sanchez <ramiros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, we need to install PostGIS on a RHEL 8 server, which contains highly sensitive information and therefore does not have internet access.

So, we attempted an offline installation but were unsuccessful.

As an alternative, we enabled internet access to specific required sites for the installation, for example:
It's worth noting that this alternative also didn't work, as several errors occurred.

So, we have the following questions:
  1. Is it possible to perform an offline installation of PostGIS? If so, how?
  2. Is it possible to obtain a list of all the required sites during the installation of PostGIS? This way, it would be possible to enable internet access only for these sites.

I manually* download the relevant files from https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64 and https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/15/redhatrhel-8-x86_64 to my laptop, then use WinSCP to copy them to my firewall-restricted Linux servers.  Then "yum install".  Works like a charm.

Yes, I had to manually determine the package names, but that was a one-time process.  Now, I just update the version numbers in my Windows shell script.

*technically, with a PowerShell script.