Re: Deadlock

I think what is being said is that parsing the logs or looking for specific events such as a deadlock is the responsibility of the monitoring or the application interacting with the database, not the database server.  The database server is simply tasked with logging / providing notice to the client in this instance.  Ideally, as previously stated, the application should be determining how to address the issue.

If memory serves, pg_stat_database and pg_stat_database_conflicts views have some statistics and information regarding deadlocks which can be checked.

As for monitoring: Percona Monitoring and Management, pganalyze, pgbadger or any similar tool might prove to be helpful.  Ultimately, whatever alerting you configure from monitoring is what should be sending emails about potential issues vs the database server directly.  There are probably extensions or walkthroughs on using Postgres to trigger sending of emails in a manner similar to SQL Server but this does not seem aligned with the database server's purpose (manage access, storage, and retrieval of data).  Hope this information helps you find a suitable solution for your use case.

Best regards,

Dan Smith